Dental technology has come up with new and upgraded treatment methods to aid patients who have oral issues. One such prominent issue is the loss of teeth. Getting teeth extracted can cause a lot of complications with facial aesthetics and the functionality of the mouth. This is why dentists give so much of importance to replacing extracted teeth with prosthetic ones.
Dentures are a set of prosthetic teeth that are used to replace the extracted natural ones. Though there are other tooth restoration alternatives such as dental implants and bridges, dentures are highly preferred when the number of teeth to be replaced is more. They restore the functionality of the mouth, as well as improve the aesthetics of the mouth and the face as a whole.
Types of Dentures
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are used to replace only a certain number of missing teeth. They are held together by a metal framework and consist of individual ceramic teeth that replace only the required ones. They are a great alternative to dental bridges.
- Complete Dentures: Complete dentures, as the name suggests, are used to replace all the teeth in the mouth. In case there are a few teeth left, we can have them extracted before the treatment procedure is started. The dentures would help you bite and chew food like normal, and would also make the face look fuller.
- Implant Dentures: Implant dentures are the ones that are held in place by dental implants. Implants will be fitted into the jawbone and allowed to heal, after which the dentures will be placed on them. They offer superior stability and prevent them from slipping off while talking.
Why should you choose dentures?
- Dentures are removable. You can easily take them off whenever you need to, such as while sleeping or cleaning your mouth. It also allows you to remove the dentures and clean them easily.
- Dentures perfectly mimic the appearance of natural teeth and gums. The ceramic material used to make the teeth can be designed to match the color and texture of the teeth. Also, the acrylic material used to act as the gums is quite life-like. Together, they form the perfect tooth-replacement solution.
- Dentures can be fabricated either in a partial or a complete form. This allows the dentist to replace just some or all of the teeth based on the patient’s requirement.
- Dentures restore the patient’s ability to bite and chew food like normal. Also, their phonetics will be as good as before. The face would look fuller when dentures are placed in the mouth. This makes the patient look younger.
The dentist would take x-rays and scans of the mouth as a means of initial screening. This allows the dentist to check for jawbone deterioration, gum infections, spacing for the fabrication of dentures, etc. The data will be sent to a dental laboratory where the dentures will be made from ceramic, acrylic, and metal.
During the next appointment, the denture will be placed in the mouth and checked for perfect fit and comfort. In case any adjustments are required, the dentist would make them. The dentist would then give instructions to care for the dentures. With proper usage, the dentures would last for a long time.
To know more about dentures, call us at (510) 656-4400 or schedule an online appointment with our dental professionals at our office in Newark, CA. We will be happy to help.